This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Browser bugs

Topics: bug report (break and fix)
Developer
Aug 6, 2008 at 8:04 PM
I have noticed there are a LOT of bugs with the browser. What is the development status on this project? Are you spending most of your time on the library? I don't want to go ahead and fix a ton of bugs only to find out that you have already done so!
Developer
Aug 6, 2008 at 9:24 PM
I feel I should clarify the above post. I'm not complaining about the bugs at all. I realize you just started the browser not long ago, and most of it is not implemented. Would it help if you created a basic design document, because I would love to help you develop this part of the project. I just don't want to write code that won't end up being used because I went in a different direction than you. Let me know what you think.
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2008 at 3:36 AM
Hi, Lister. It is really hard to write a document ahead for what should be implemented. The browser is a relatively small project. But if you want to help, please tell me first which parts you are interested in,

1. MIB tree implementation. (95% done) (TODO: save MIB files added by users and load them at startup)
2. GET, SET, WALK, GET-NEXT operations implementation. (5% done)
3. Agent profile management. (95% done) (TODO: save profiles on disk and load them at startup)
4. Trap integration. (0% done)

-Lex
Marked as answer by lextm on 10/6/2013 at 9:38 PM
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2008 at 3:40 AM
If I have time tonight, I think I can try to generate a document for browser design. I will publish any update here.
Developer
Aug 7, 2008 at 1:44 PM
I would probably like to first start with #1, as that is what I'm most interested in. 3 is also very important, because the latest release (not head) won't even let me create an agent other than localhost. I will go grab the head source, and then I'll make some bugfixes today. I'll write up later on what I think needs to be done for #3 first since #1 really can't be tested against a remote machine till 3 works. Then if you agree with me tonight I can implement it tomorrow and perhaps that would let you focus more on the Library. Thanks for letting me help!
Coordinator
Aug 8, 2008 at 5:10 AM
Hi, it is OK. Please send me your modifications after you are done. I will check them in.

Yes, I'd like to focus on the library lately because SNMP v2c support is quite an interesting topic to work on.
Developer
Aug 11, 2008 at 2:37 AM
Ok, I put the mods I did in a patch. Didn't know how else to get the changes to you. I didn't have much time on Friday, but I finished implementing the loading and saving of the agents. Tomorrow I want to finish the MIB tree implementation, but I want to ask for your input. How do you have it working in your head? If you don't mind just giving me a few pointers on how you wish to save and load it, at least I won't go implement it in a totally contrary way. Thanks!
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2008 at 6:51 AM
Hi, my only suggestion is that, settings may be saved in a per-user way. And you know, you may go ahead with your own analysis and experience. Just simply ask yourself if this way is natural and convenient. If you find it fine yourself, I believe at least half of the users are happy about it. Even if there would be some small flaws at first, we can conquer by refactoring later. :-)

-Lex