This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

SNMP daemon

Topics: usage (how to ...)
Sep 25, 2008 at 12:59 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been looking at your great lib.. I have one question though.

I need to have my code poll a server for SNMP data and then send it as a "custom" protocol to another program witch will act as SNMP daemon to some thirdparty software can poll that for information from the orginal poll.

So in one end I need my code to be a SNMP poller and in the other end my code should be a SNMP daemon that is polled from a monitorings system like Cacti or SolarWinds.

I will look something like this..

Device<--- MyCodePoller--->WAN--->MyCodeSNMPproxy<---Cacti monitoring device

arrows point in the direction that the session is initialized. So MyCodePoller will poll "Device" and send the result to "MyCodeSNMPProxy" with will then be polled from a Cacti monitorings system.. I can not poll directly as I do not have inbound access to the device from Cacti.

I found that you can poll information with your lib, however can it also act as a SNMP server?

Cheers

Esben
Coordinator
Sep 26, 2008 at 8:52 AM
Edited Sep 26, 2008 at 9:03 AM
Hi Esben,

I think you can use #SNMP Library in MyCodePoller (with Manager component), but right now there is not enough code developed for MyCodeSNMPproxy yet (the Agent component is still an experimental prototype).

-Lex
Sep 26, 2008 at 9:26 AM
Are there any plans in implementing a SNMP daemon? I have a couple of programs where I would like to send traps or have other clients poll it for information.

Cheers

Esben
Coordinator
Sep 27, 2008 at 3:44 AM
I have checked the list on the home page, right now SNMP v2c and the MIB browser are the top two. Maybe after that I can finish the Agent component. However, that's not enough yet for implementing an SNMP daemon. You can read this post for details,

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/lextm/~3/388385162/snmp-design-agent-side-support-update.html

Without a powerful object repository, it would be quite difficult to make a daemon.

-Lex
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2008 at 9:55 AM
Updated: http://www.codeplex.com/sharpsnmplib/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=37868 Marked as answer by lextm on 10/6/2013 at 9:08 PM